Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5 Review: A Foldable Phone with a Big Screen and a Slim S Pen
I’ve been using the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5 as my main phone for two weeks. I’ve put it through its paces, checking out how it performs, how long the battery lasts, how good the camera is, how the screen looks, and how it’s designed. Plus, I’ve been playing around with the S Pen features. I’ve also compared it with other foldable phones and top-of-the-line devices that are out there.
The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5 in Action
This phone transforms into a tablet when you unfold it. It’s super handy in many situations. Like:
- When I’m watching videos or playing games, I love the big 7.6-inch screen. It’s bright and immersive.
- For work or multitasking, I can keep three apps open at once or quickly switch between my favorites.
- Taking notes or sketching is a breeze with the slim S Pen. It works great on the main screen.
- Photos or selfies? The cover screen serves as a viewfinder, and I can even take hands-free shots with flex mode.
This phone also solved some issues I had with other foldable phones:
- It’s more durable with Gorilla Glass Victus and IPX8 water resistance. The hinge can handle 200,000 folds.
- It’s compact and lightweight, so carrying it around is easy.
- The Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 chip keeps things speedy and smooth.
- The camera system is versatile with five lenses for different angles and modes.
Is the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5 Right for You?
For You If:
- You want a phone that can also be a tablet.
- You value productivity and multitasking.
- Enjoy gaming and entertainment.
- You appreciate innovation and premium quality.
Not for You If:
- You’re on a tight budget.
- Prefer a simple and compact phone.
- Worried about durability or repair costs.
Considering Alternatives to the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5?
Here are some options:
Flips vertically for a more compact design, with similar features except S Pen support. Also, it’s more budget-friendly.
Offers a large flat display with S Pen support, similar performance, and camera quality, but lacks folding capabilities. It’s also more budget-friendly.
Has a large display with Face ID, similar performance, and battery life, but no folding or S Pen. Different operating system and eco-system compared to the Z Fold 5.
Here’s What You Need to Know before buying the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5
- Storage Options: You can choose from 256GB, 512GB, or 1TB of storage, but there’s no microSD card slot, so pick the right one for your needs.
- Price: The cost of the phone varies based on your chosen storage capacity and your region.
- Color Choices: The Z Fold 5 comes in five colors: Black, Silver, Green, Pink, or Blue (exclusive to Samsung.com).
- S Pen: It doesn’t come with the phone. You’ll need to purchase it separately, with two options: S Pen Fold Edition (smaller, cheaper, no Bluetooth or air gestures) or S Pen Pro (larger, pricier, with Bluetooth and air gestures). You’ll also need a case to attach the S Pen.
- In the Box: You get a USB-C cable but no charger, earphones, or protective film for the main display. Consider getting them separately if needed.
The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5 is a unique and versatile device that can be a phone, tablet, gaming console, workstation, and camera all in one. It boasts a large, smooth main display, a slim and precise S Pen, a flexible yet durable design, powerful performance, and great battery life.
But it’s not without its downsides, including a high price, limited storage and audio options, a narrow cover screen, and a delicate main display. However, if you’re willing to invest in innovation, this phone can seriously boost your productivity and entertainment.
The interior, foldable screen of the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5 has a screen protector already, but the exterior screen does not. You may want to protect the outer screen with a screen protector too.
No other foldable phone can match the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5 in terms of overall quality.
You can buy the S Pen separately for $54/£54/AU$109, which comes with a Black carry case, or you can get the Slim Phone Case & S Pen combo for $99/£89/AU$169, which includes a case for your Z Fold 5 that has a slot for the S Pen.